Uh oh, I think I broke my site.

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Hwona

Mysidian Dollar
Sorry abou this yet another issue - I think I've broke my site again. I was attempting to edit the theme, but when I reloaded my site, this popped up:
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'unable to write file /home/wallie12/public_html/templates/compile/wrt53024c1dbd2e70.20765048' in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php:44 Stack trace: #0 /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(201): Smarty_Internal_Write_File::writeFile('/home/wallie12/...', '<?php /* Smarty...', Object(Template)) #1 /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(164): Smarty_Internal_Template->compileTemplateSource() #2 /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(374): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch('template.tpl', NULL, NULL, NULL, true) #3 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_frame.php(226): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->display('template.tpl') #4 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_mysidia.php(449): Frame->render() #5 /home/wallie12/public_html/index.php(86): Mysidia->output() #6 /home/wallie12/public_html/ in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 44

Don't worry, I am the same way. I'm sure the amazing coders here can help you out. In the future though, you might want to save a back-up before doing anything major. That way, you can always revert it.

What was the last thing you did, exactly? What were you trying to do?

When modifying anything it should always be done one step at a time, one line at a time. Save. View. Catastrophic failure? Undo. Save. Problem averted. If you don't know what caused the problem down to the wire, you're making modifications in sweeps that are too large. Undo things as you did them, in order, until it's working. That's the best general troubleshooting advice I can give, other than to keep backups!

Pretty much, with an error like that and you don't know what you messed with to cause it, the best way is to go back a version until it works again

Re

Don't worry, I am the same way. I'm sure the amazing coders here can help you out. In the future though, you might want to save a back-up before doing anything major. That way, you can always revert it.

The funny thing is, I didn't change any code at all - I just changed the copyright year from 2013 to 2014. When it didn't work, I changed it back but...

Are you sure that's the only thing you changed? How did you change it?

Re

Are you sure that's the only thing you changed? How did you change it?
I just deleted 2013 and replaced it with 2014.
Edit: ok, I just realized that none of the other themes work either... I think it has something to do with the folder...

Re

Empty the /compile folder and the themes will recompile, see if it works.

Thanks, I tried it, but now I'm getting this:
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'Unable to load template file 'template.tpl'' in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php:127 Stack trace: #0 /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(374): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch('template.tpl', NULL, NULL, NULL, true) #1 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_frame.php(226): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->display('template.tpl') #2 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_mysidia.php(449): Frame->render() #3 /home/wallie12/public_html/index.php(86): Mysidia->output() #4 /home/wallie12/public_html/index.php(90): IndexController::main() #5 {main} thrown in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php on line 127

Maybe your theme settings is wrong? What is the default theme in your table prefix.settings? And what is the theme used by the admin if you read from the table prefix.users? Note a typo can completely messes up your site, and the theme name is case-sensitive.

Re

Maybe your theme settings is wrong? What is the default theme in your table prefix.settings? And what is the theme used by the admin if you read from the table prefix.users? Note a typo can completely messes up your site, and the theme name is case-sensitive.
The default theme in settings is "main", but I can't seem to find anything theme related in prefix_users

Re

Oh sorry, you need to look up the table prefix.users_options to see what the theme settings is for each user.

Thank you! That fixed it somewhat! *feels dumb* Now I just need to figure out what went wrong with the other theme...
Edit: do the template files have to have certain permissions? I have a file backup of the the theme when it worked, but it's still giving me errors...

Last edited:
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'Unable to load template file 'template.tpl'' in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php:127 Stack trace: #0 /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(374): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch('template.tpl', NULL, NULL, NULL, true) #1 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_frame.php(226): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->display('template.tpl') #2 /home/wallie12/public_html/classes/class_mysidia.php(449): Frame->render() #3 /home/wallie12/public_html/index.php(86): Mysidia->output() #4 /home/wallie12/public_html/index.php(90): IndexController::main() #5 {main} thrown in /home/wallie12/public_html/inc/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php on line 127

o_O It's back again... and now, I have nothing to compile to fix it.

Re

Not to the template file. Theme, yes.
Edit: Okay... so it works when I'm logged on but not if I'm a guest? o_O