Site has gone blank

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Nemesis

Mysidian Dollar
One of the mysidia sites hosted at 99webs.org has gone blank. This is the first occurrence I have seen of this and I am not sure what went wrong. I have enabled errors for the site so it is no longer just blank. I am looking into it but I think I might need help.

site is http://houndssim.99webs.org/

I have checked obvious things like database and passwords and they all match.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Looks like its a smarty error, the user apparently fails to create a template properly for his/her site(the template.tpl file is missing). Also it does not seem to me that it is a blank site, I see all the error messages being displayed. I wonder why the notice errors are being displayed though, are you supposed to disable it by default?

The site is blank, the only reason you can see them is because I have enabled it for this particular site. Errors are disabled by default as to protect sites from hackers.

That seems correct though, the users did report trying to change the theme. So all we would need to do is change the theme back to default. So I think we would do that in the sql database then?

Yeah, you can reset the default theme back to 'main' by editing the database table prefix.settings. This only works if the user does not mess up completely with the main theme. Of course, you can try the other themes 'green' or 'element' otherwise.

Indeed. Find out which template is currently being used, and then see if the template.tpl in it's folder is currently blank.

This might have been caused by installing a new theme, and setting it to default, without checking the box during installing in the admin panel that informs the new theme installation process that the theme is already uploading and pending installation.

(Wording beside checkbox could be a little cleaner, so people know what it does. That, and, make it so the installation process simply doesn't overwrite the existing tpl if it already exists - because currently, it does.)