VPS

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

SilverDragonTears

I am your Nemesis.
Premium Member
Mysidian Dollar
I just had to order a VPS for SilvAdopts. We have over 10,000 members and the server can't handle the load. I know nothing about this. Does it work like a normal server?

Well a VPS usually is much better than a shared server. It has better speed and disk storage, and webhosts offer much better customer support for obvious reason.

Can you help me? I'm having trouble with changing my nameservers.... this is all so confusing :(

I would think the host would be doing everything they could to get your site transferred. I mean your now a pretty big customer. congrats.

Edit: what do you mean the server can't handle the load? Are you running out of bandwidth? Or are you actually running out of CPU and RAM? There is a big difference you may not need a vps or dedicated server.

Here's the email I got before I switched to VPS.
Your account has been found using an excessive amount of CPU and disk I/O via MySQL. Here is your usage over the past several days:

edited out for security

This usage is more than double the next closest user on the server. There are some systems where the most abusive user would not use this much resources in a months time. You're going to need to make your account more efficient. Here is sample mysql process list:

edited out for security

Here is a PHP process list:

edited out for security

You are going to need to reduce this usage or look towards a VPS as this sort of usage does not belong in a shared web hosting environment.

------------------------------
Tony B.
Chief Executive Officer, Hawk Host

The site is switched... I'm having issues with the name servers... when I try to switch the old name server is says

{ns2=NameServer ns2.silvadopts.com is not a valid Nameserver, ns1=NameServer ns1.silvadopts.com is not a valid Nameserver}

not sure if I'm doing something wrong....

umm the two nameserver ips should be emailed to you by your vps provider upon registration. If you dont have them, consult your webhost for this information since they should be readily available to any vps users. Assume you have your nameserver ips, you can go to cpanel to set up nameservers. If your vps provider does not host domains, you will need to log in to the portal page of your domain provider and set up nameserver there.

Ok I think I found them (Assigned them) but nothing happened. When I edit the site through the VPS cpanel it doesn't change the site.

Well it usually needs a few hours for the changes to take effect. I was wondering though, your webhost should provides detailed instructions on how to set up nameserver ips.

Oops what a horrible webhost. *sigh* Some webhosts actually set them up for you, lol.

Anyway, it shouldn't be too difficult to set up nameservers. You should see a tab called 'domain manager' in cpanel, which will list all available domains you have. Click on one of them and you will notice that there are some new tabs showing up at bottom right: Main, Renewal Option, Contacts, Privacy Options, Name servers, Transfer Epps, and lock. Yours may look a bit different, but the nameservers tab should be available. Click on it and enter the two ips you received from your webhost in empty text fields. You are done if you enter these info correctly, note it usually takes about 12-24 hours for nameserve ips to be fully functioning.

If so, you may have set your nameserver incorrectly. Remember to follow certain format, which should be something similar to this:

PHP:
ns1.silvadopts.com 127.0.0.1

Or something like that if you use cpanel.

I see subdomain addon domain and parked

Attachments

• Untitled-10.jpg
    Untitled-10.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
umm were these all you could see from domain manager? Strange, you should see a tiny tab called 'nameserver' which allows you to specify your own nameserver.

Seems that the domain manager for your webhost is different. Guess you will have to set up nameservers in a different way. Would you mind giving me access to your cpanel so I can figure it out? I know it sound kinda weird, but there's no way for me and others to help you without knowing what your webhost is actually providing. Even in cpanels the available services differ from hosts to hosts.

you got a vps right ?
and cpanel on it ( cpanel optimised )

if you want to change nameservers you can do that on 2 ways

first way is with the cpanel setup , there you can select the main nameservers that will be assigned to all new accounts ( whm )

second way and easy'st way to change nameservers is by using the dns tool

in whm ( port 2086 ) you can go to the dns settings

there you add a new A record

fill in the ip adress you like to use of the nameservers and fill in the following information

Code:
ns1.yoursite.com
A record
server ip

it explains itself on that page

after that is done , you can use those nameservers at your domain registrar and it will work

if it is your only domain , then it need to be done a little differend

in your domain provider you got a option to assign ip's to subdomains
fill in the server ip and the nameservers name ( the subdomain like ns1 )
after the dns is updated from your registrar then it will work and are you able to assign them to your server

please note , you still need to add the A record into the dns settings or the server can not resolve your ip and it can refuse to work ( just like webpage not found .. )

hopely this can help you
Greetings From PowerChaos