Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Hall of Famer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mysidian Dollar
Oh hello there everyone, it's been about 2 weeks since Mys v1.3.0 security release date. I've been working on various aspects of the script since then, mostly regarding improvement over old codes. Nonetheless, I managed to find sometime to overhaul the promocode system. It is completely different from before, and will be available in Mys v1.3.1 security release.

The new promocode works perfectly well on my demosite, so what are the new features? Well, the promocode can give members either adoptable or item, at this point this is the only thing I can think of(though promocode-protected pages will be considered in future). The promocode is now user-specific, it only recognizes its 'owner' and the script will ban whoever hijacks someone else's promocode. Admins create/edit/delete promocodes through ACP, they can control a lot more things than before such as expiration date and how many times this promocode can be entered. By default a promocode can only be used once, but admins can make them reusable.

Now allow me to illustrate how the new promocode system works by the following steps with screenshots. This will make the blog considerably long, but should be interesting.

Step 1:
The promocode management subpage, can be accessed from either adopt or items management page. Its worth noting that admins can edit promocodes directly from ACP now!
2hrimhc.jpg

Step 2:
The promocode creation page, admins will decide which user can have the promocode, plus various other settings:
fmrkpd.jpg

Step 3:
The promocode has been successfully added for user 'Lord Yggdrasill'.
312to1s.jpg

Step 4:
The promocode can be edited through ACP at anytime you want. Now to play a little bit trick, we set the expiration date to 03/02/2012, a date that has already passed!
35lrm76.jpg

Step 5:
Our user Lord Yggdrasill(my alt XD) is trying to use the promocode I just created, what will happen?
s6kgp1.jpg

Step 6:
Oops, the promocode has expired! This is expected as 03/02/2012 was like a month ago? Guess we have to be careful setting the start date and expiration date for promocodes in ACP.
smdnvm.jpg

Step 7:
Now I log in as Hall of Famer again, and attempt to use the promocode. It does not belong to me, so see what happens below? I am banned! (I do not recommend admins to try this since its tedious to unban yourself when you cannot access ACP)
mi1js7.jpg

Step 8:
If the correct user enters the code that is still valid(havent been used or expired yet), the promocode will take effect. Cheers, Lord Yggdrasill has gotten his Charizard!
2zocarb.jpg

Step 9:
The Charizard shows up in Lord Yggdrasill's myadopts.php page, how sweet! Note I edited its level so that it does not appear in an egg.
67lffc.jpg

Step 10:
What if Lord Yggdrasill hasnt had enough and wants to use the code again? This is what he gets, sorry the code has been used...
m8k0ma.jpg

So, what do you think? I have tested this with the items Map and Nugget, they both work as expected. I have not found any glitches at this point, but if anyone of you by any chance detect bugs by the release of Mys v1.3.1 please lemme know. Anyway this is a new feature added to our next security release, which should be available in a few days.

Haha, what if we want to let more than one user, but not all users, have that promo code?

Good question, Iris. For now you need to create two or multiple promocodes for different users, since the promocodes must be unique. If a user enters a promocode that belongs to someone else(not an empty field for the 'owner' property), he/she will be banned for cheating. In future I will consider a possibility for admins to create promocodes for multiple users, but not everyone. ^^