Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Hall of Famer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mysidian Dollar
Rpg Maker XP, abbreviated as RMXP, is by far the most popular RPG fangame development software available at this moment. It costs $60, a little bit expensive for some aspiring game developers but should be a good deal if you are indeed interested in this. It uses a gaming system called RGSS(Ruby games scripting system), thus you must learn a little bit Ruby in order to program in RMXP(like I did three years ago). RMXP is mostly known for its convenience to create maps and events, which significantly reduces the amount of time to program. Anyone interested? Visit RMXP's official site and see if you will get it for your PC. Note compatibility with Vista may be an issue.

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/
rmxp.jpg

Interesting, it is a perfect tool for making games like Final Fantasy, Zelda or FE. There's actually a Pokemon starterkit available too, I use it for my own fangame.

I like the idea of gaming, but I prefer browser based games, although some call me odd for it. I also enjoy making them by programming in PHP. :3

I never actually made a finished game but it was worth the $ to me or the years of entertainment it provided. I think I had more fun making games than finishing them... It was more fun than playing a game, and it was cheap considering what you could do with it if you really tried.

i had the xp for a long time.. i wanted to buy that from the owner so you could make games to play on a console.. i even designed the console system and all.. but alas he wouldn't sell

VX is much better than XP.

I've used both back when XP was released. I didn't know they were still up and running.

Well theres a reason to use XP though. Most games are now being developed with starterkits in which the game system is highly customized to suit the developer's need. RMXP apparently has more starterkits to use than RMVX, since its much older.

The graphics look kind of goofy, and there's a free open source RPG maker that's pretty good called Eclipse. It's similar, might have less features and flexibility though. But I'd rather use that then pay 60 bucks :p It's very popular too.