Bean Pets

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

KittHaven

Mysidian Dollar
Hi! I'm working on a little personal project called Bean Pets! For the most part it's just something I'm doing for fun but I eventually hope to open it to other people and foster a small community! It will be created on the 1.4 version of the script when that releases so for now I am only creating artwork.

So, what is Bean Pets?

Bean Pets will be an adoptable site where you adopt little Beans to grow them into small creatures! Most of the creatures fully grown are the size of a human hand, not much larger.

How do you adopt Beans?

You adopt Beans from a garden, where you randomly select between 3 different ones. You won't know what they look like until after adoption, though! Each Bean is greyed out until you choose to take them home. In fact, you won't even know what species they are until after they start hatching... they will each have a 1 sentence description, though, so you can hopefully tell if they're different or not.

You can refresh the page to get different ones each time, but you can only adopt 1 from each selection! It's also planned that most Beans can have multiple different outcomes, and even species, so ignoring Beans you already have might mean you miss out!

What species will be available?

Currently it's planned to have a minimum of 4 or 5 different species. The final forms are based on real life animals: cats, dogs, ponies, birds/avian creatures... the final selection still needs to be finalised! So far the species are: Cat Bean, Pony Bean, and Mothling Bean.

How do Beans grow?

Beans start off as a single Bean that you plant in your garden. With love and care they grow inside their 'egg', and once they've matured enough to 'hatch' they eat their way out! The outer shell of a Bean is full of needed nutrients to help them grow big and strong!

So far the life-cycle of a bean is:

Cat Bean Stages.png
Bean (egg), Hatch Stage 1 (started hatching), Hatch Stage 2 (eating the shell), Baby, Child, Adult
Every species has the same life cycle! In fact they all look the same while in their egg so it can be difficult to know just what species they are. Your first hint comes at stage 2 as certain species might look slightly different than others! From then on the differences are more obvious the more they grow.

Last edited:
Current species:

Spoiler: Cat Bean 
The Cat Bean are the first to be designed for Bean Pets! I will write up a bit more lore and details at a later date lol. For now here are the stages:

Cat Bean Stages.png

Spoiler: Pony Bean 

Spoiler: Mothling Bean 

What features are planned for the site?

- Daily rewards for using the site
- Simple exploration & rewards
- Simple games
- Quests
- Random adoptions
- Your own garden to grow Beans in!
- Your garden has a limited space in it at first, you can purchase more space with the site's currency, Dewdrops!
- Adopt shops with cool and unique Beans in them
- An archive of all past and present Beans, where the outcomes are hidden until you obtain that adoptable yourself
- 2 types of currency
- Banks to store both currencies!
- Weekly raffles, the pot is decided by how many people take part each week!
- Shops with NPCs
- Forum to interact with other users on
- Discord integration to chat with other users from the website
- And more!

Last edited:
Currently working on the child version of the cat bean lol

WIP.png

I like to work on the base in stages, allowing for 'mutations' like different ears and tails! Makes it easier on me to create new adoptables in the future as I have something to work from!

Last edited:
Today I finished the child version of the base!

Luna.png

I just need to finish the adult and then the cat bean is finished! I think I'll then work on some adopts using the base before moving onto making the next species... not sure which one I'll be working on just yet. :meow:

Finally finished the adult cat bean! Which means now that the entire line is finished I can work on making some more designs! I'll probably take some time off before I make the next species, but in the mean time I'll make some new cats on the base so I'm productive haha :meow:

Luna.png

I just finished the second Cat Bean design, the Tiger Bean! :usedusedused: It took a while to finish but I got there in the end lol.

The Tiger Bean will be a part of the Wild Animals collection of designs (name could still change).

Tiger.png

Next up will be trying to finish some more designs before I think about making the next species. The next few designs will probably be in the 'Domestic Cats' collection, and they will be simple, basic, Beans that are pretty common to find. :meow:

Not yet, haha! I'm wanting to develop the site for a while before getting members as I keep needing to reset things in the database and I want things to be a lot more stable first ! I'll definitely be putting a link here when it's time for beta testing though 😊

Update! :love:

It's been a while since I've updated! I decided to wait until 1.4.0 of the script before working on the actual site just so I don't need to worry about updating or restarting when the next big update comes (fingers crossed it comes in 2022 - super excited!). In the mean time I kind of fell off from making art because real life got busy. I had managed to make 8 adopts on the Cat Bean (technically 14 if you count alternate forms!) as well as a bunch of mutations. I had also finished the second species, the Pony Bean! I forgot to update this thread for a whileee lol.

Well, earlier this year I decided to invest in Clip Studio Paint when it was on sale and it has been a really cool program to learn to use! Before, I was using SAI and I couldn't really do everything I wanted to do, and CSP has such a great asset store for brushes! Anyway, I recently started feeling motivated to work on the site again, at least the art side. So I have started the... adventure... of remaking the bases in CSP! I am using the previous version as a start so I am not totally doing it from scratch but for the most part I am drawing everything again.

I love how it's coming out so far!

Cat Bean Stages.png
This is the base Cat Bean, with the 'Smooth Body', 'Cat Face', 'Cat Ears', and 'Cat Tail', mutations!
So far I have 10 mutations finished, across the Baby, Child, and Adult, stages. The website will have pre-made adopts and not generated ones, I just use the word 'mutations' to mean what I can use on the base. :D I also currently have a small list of more I need to finish...

Here is the mutations I have finished so far:

Cat Bean Shown-Off.png
The mutations I am most proud of so far are the improved Big Cat Ears and Rabbit Ears :ROFLMAO: They weren't good on the last base lol. And the rabbit ears can be freely combined to have one ear up and one down!

Old Big Cat Face + Ears, and Rabbit Ears:

Old Big Cat.png
And here is the old Pony Bean that I finished last time and didn't show here. This one will be redone in CSP, as well!

Pony.png
That's it for this update! I think I'll try to regularly keep this post updated (or semi-regularly to avoid spam lol). For quite a while it will mostly be art and adoptable updates, though!

Rabbit Mutations!
I have finished the rabbit/bunny mutations for the Cat Beans! There are 3 ear styles and 2 tail styles, as well as a face, in this small set.

The Rabbit Ears point straight up, then there are the Half-Down Rabbit Ears that flop slightly, and the Bunny Ears that are all floppy. Then the Hare Tail which sticks up a little, and the Bunny Tail which is like the 'classic' cotton-tail look.

I like how they have come out! And they are all able to be mixed and matched to my liking which adds to the customisability. :D

1.png
I still have a few more mutations planned before I start to remake the old designs I had finished.

Current Mutations List & Planned Mutations:

Spoiler:  

• Smooth Body
  • Mewl Face
  • Cat Face
  • Cat Ears
  • Cat Tail
  • Big Cat Face
  • Big Cat Ears
  • Big Cat Tail
  • Bunny Face
  • Bunny Ears
  • Bunny Tail
  • Rabbit Ears
  • Half-Down Rabbit Ears
  • Hare Tail
  • Ram Horns
  • Ox Horns
  • Unicorn Horn
  • Antlers
  • Dragon Wings
  • Chibi Dragon Wings
  • Dragon Tail
  • Feathered Wings
  • Chibi Feathered Wings
  • Dragonfly Wings
  • Skeletal Body
  • Skeletal Wings
  • Skeletal Tail
  • Cheek Fluff
  • Fluffy Body
  • Fluffy Tail
  • Horse Tail
  • Triple Tail
  • Kitsune Tail

Ram Horns & Dragon Tail Mutations
Another mutation update! I managed to finish both the Ram Horns and Dragon Tail mutations! I'm close to being able to start recreating a few of the old adopts I had finished, just a few more and I can get started lol. Definitely takes a while as I only have the attention span for about 4 hours of drawing at a time before I must take a break :ROFLMAO:

The Ram Horns took me about 3 hours alone because I had to figure out how to make the ears work with the least amount of tweaking when I am making an adopt and I decided to make a copy of the ears in the Ram Horns folder so they can have their own tweaked ears separate from the actual ears folders. Might sound a tad confusing but it works pretty well so that's alright :LOL:

Ram Horns & Dragon Tail.png
I have also updated the front of this thread with a bit of information on my plans for the site, when I can get to making it! :D

Dragon Wings!

Yet another mutation update :LOL: This is for the Dragon Wings! Next up is the ripped versions and then I will make my first redesign and remake the 'Luna' design. (She's my friend's OC lol)

Dragon Wings 2.png
Also I feel a bit bad about posting so often, don't want to spam, so I think I'll wait a few days and do a larger update post instead of everyday! :ROFLMAO:

First Design Remade + Unicorn Horn

I remade the first design I had finished last time! I also remade the flame on the Dragon Tail because I didn't like it as much lol. I'm glad I did because I much prefer it now.

I also created the Ripped Dragon Wings and Dragon Belly mutations so I could get on and make this adopt. I think she came out pretty cool and definitely better than last time! I have finally realised the style I want to go for as last time I wasn't sure what to do regarding the outlines of the adopts. I have decided to go with the lines being coloured and I just need to make sure that the lines are darker than the shading so it doesn't look weird. :LOL:

Luna Stages.png
The design is my friend's OC, Luna, and she requested a version with the ripped wings, so this adopt now has an alt lol.
I have also just finished the Unicorn Horn mutation!

Unicorn Horn.png
I went for something fairly quick and simple today as I'm not feeling 100% lol.

Until next time :cool:

Feathered Wings Mutations + Gingerbread Bunny

Happy holidays! :D A few days ago I finished some feathered wings mutations. I decided to do 2 styles, so that I have more variation when making winged Beans! I quite like how they have come out. :LOL:

Feather Wings2.png
I have also been feeling a little in the Christmas mood so I started working on the next adoptable, a Gingerbread Bunny! I might make this a little set of gingerbread adopts that could be released during the holiday period, with adopts of all the species included. :p

Planning on making the other stages tomorrow because it took a few hours to finish, had to do a bit of drafting before being happy with the idea lol.

Stage 5.png

Finished Gingerbread Bunny + Started Working on a Template for the Site's Theme...

Hello! I finished the gingerbread bunny today! Took me a few days as I could only focus for a bit at a time the last few days lol.

Gingerbread Bunny Stages.png

Also I have been working on a basic responsive theme template for the site :ROFLMAO: Everything is temporary, the colours, header, background, etc, but I like what I have so far! This will allow me to do minimal changes when 1.4 comes out I think so that's cool... took me a while to get Bootstrap 5 working as things are different from Bootstrap 3 so I couldn't just tweak the theme Kyttias had made. Also means I have had to remake the navbar myself, which is okay as I wanted a custom one anyway lol. Just gives me a bit more control over it!

Bootstrap 5 Screenshots.png

That's all for today lol.