Using too many processes

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Xius

Mysidian Dollar
My host only allows 25 processes at once, and 1 is used by the cpanel, the other 24 were used by the siggy.php. Why are there so many processes? I had to take adoptables down so it would stop giving server errors.

Adoptable sites, by their nature, tend to use a lot of server processes. This is the reason that free hosts are not recommended and that many sites who use paid hosts start having issues once they become popular. When you have adoptables all over the net trying to get clicked it calls on the server quite often and many sites on free servers are shut down quickly because of this. That is just what happens when you have people clicking and calling on the same DB all at once. :(

One thing that may lower the processes is turning off fancy signature images in your Admin CP as it takes more effort to generate the fancy signature images then it does just to show a normal image.

Like Sea said though, adoptables sites by their nature will use a lot of resources if popular. Having a lot of signature links can cause a lot of strain on a server each time they are loaded.

Xius said:
What do you mean by "Fancy" images? x]

The signature images that have the adoptable name, level, etc printed on the image. Those are the "fancy" images, as opposed to a standard image without all that. Adding all of that text before creating the image (and thus having to re-save the image on the fly) can sometimes use quite a bit of processing power compared to just showing the image without all of that additional text.

Xius said:
I never used the GD Image writing... D:

It may just be too many connections at once then. Really there's not much can be done then in this case other than to upgrade to a host that can tolerate the level of usage required for your site.

Xius said:
Phooey.
I use Hostgator.

There's your problem. :p

Hostgator is notorious for shutting down sites that supposedly use too much CPU usage but in reality are not using anything extraordinary.

They are completely oversold there.

I know, I'm using JustHost now cause my buddy has a year he's not using. Heard anything about them?

I will give you this much info. Mystic Grove is currently on Host Moster & I do love the host. I have 8 domains currently on them. They are inexpepensive & offer excellent 24/7 customer service! BUT... I know that in probally 6 months I will have issues with them on Mystic Grove and have to move the site.. They are WONDERFUL for normal business sites.. or low volume pet sites, but I had Pets galore with them & it took me many moves to find a host to handle Pets galore once it got to popular. I will recommend Host Monster while you are young, for high volume later I recommend puhosting which specializes in high CPU usage sites.