What degree do I need?

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

GeneticAlpha

Loving Mysidia!
Mysidian Dollar
So, I've been trying to research schools and I'm hoping someone could tell me what type of degree I want to look for to focus in being a sim site builder and even make games like the old Nancy Drew game. I thought computer programming might be what I need, but I just have no idea. I see web programming too. But I'm not sure what courses would have everything I need and I prefer online.

Giving a mixed perspective from my gf who went to college, and myself who did not --

Despite being called Web Programming, its still probably a lot more visual Design, and "how to use Dreamwidth!" and won't give you a nearly as complete or up to date coverage of skills you'd actually need to get a job professionally in said field. That last mile will always have to be self-taught, cutting edge technology -- and its relatively fast moving. They'll gloss over industry standard stuff as merely a mention because it just didn't exist when the material they're teaching was made. You may learn basic Javascript, but probably won't be taught Typescript, Node, or React. Depending on just how bad your school is, you may not even be taught more than mere basics about PHP, which Mysidia uses, and certainly not an up to date version if so. What the professors of courses like this don't realize is that web dev, as they taught it, is a dying field because everyone who used to commission websites to be built now just use easy tools like Wix or Squarespace. (Basic HTML is taught in elementary school in some places. They need to stop teaching it to adults like they've never seen it before and spend more time on other areas.)

It is very easy to get a minor (or electives) towards Web stuff while doing Computer Programming. It'll give you a deeper understanding of how to code in a variety of languages, and focuses on operating system level programming languages that are ancient and rarely, if ever, update. And if you were thinking about make a mobile app or a game that goes on Steam, Computer Programming is where its at. Perhaps more importantly, it'll help you firmly get a grasp on the fundamentals at the core of all programming languages, allowing you to easily adapt between them.

If all you want is web dev in the browser - everything you need to know can be self-taught, both front-end and back-end server side stuff. You can get independently certified in things, without needing a degree at all, and still get jobs this way. If you want to actually learn something, this is the way to go. If you want to get a more serious job in the field, you may still need to get that degree, during which you will only learn out dated material and then still have to supplement it with self-taught certifications afterward because jobs are asking for stuff they just don't teach in school these days.

If you're going to get a degree, go for Computer Science if you're actually interested in learning. (Warning: It will require a lot of unnecessary math.) If you find its too overwhelming, you should be able to shift into just Web Development fairly easily before getting too far.

If money is at all a concern, self-teach yourself for a year, really commit to what you can do all on your own, before you go. You can literally just find books at your local library on this stuff, more likely than not. You really don't want to spend that much money on something you find you can't keep up with. I could never do college because I am completely number dyslexic and could not for the life of me do any required math. My girlfriend is a math fiend and I'm so proud of her and her degree, but its not actually helped her get any jobs thus far (as her co-workers generally don't have one).

Thanks so much! This helps. I suck at math... I failed it four times before passing it on GED lol. That was another reason I was worried about the physical school.