Standards for PHP programmers, which category are you in?

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

What is your current PHP skill

• Total voters

Hall of Famer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mysidian Dollar
Here is the standard for PHP programmers in terms of skills. Note it is not completely objective, although most of the items listed should make perfect sense to most people.

Noncoder:
---Cannot write their own codes, may or may not understand PHP variables, constants and operators
---Occasionally able to copy/paste script made by others to get desired outcome
---Do not know what security is, and do not worry about it in most cases

Beginner:
---Can write basic procedural codes, knowledgebase of PHP covers at least arrays and functions
---Always able to copy/paste existing codes to get desired results
---Not capable of using OOP and basic design patterns
---Can use simple MySQL database functions
---Know what security is and start to look into encryption and form validation

Intermediate:
---Can write OOP codes and know how to use third party classes(though may not be able to use them efficiently)
---Familiar with concepts like inheritance, Polymorphism, interface/abstract class, encapsulation, and make use of them in practices
---Know basic design patterns such as strategy, abstract factory, iterator, decorator, and can apply them in practices if a design pattern is specified
---Can use OOP style database libraries such as MySQLi and PDO, or even know how to extend them if needed
---Worry about security before getting started on coding, and can write script to eliminate most security flaws

Advanced:

---OOP is being used everywhere and essentially no trace of procedural codes. Codes are reusable and extensible.
---Capable of using and designing MVC frameworks, know how to use Zend, CakePHP, Codeignitor frameworks, can integrate 3rd party script to work with their own framework.
---Expert at all design pattens, and know which is the best design pattern to use under various circumstances
---Proficient at security handling, script is completely flawless in terms of security issues
---Able to use multiple programming languages interchangeably(not required, really, but most advanced programmers are like that)

So what is your PHP skill at this point? Are you a noncoder, beginner, intermediate or advanced programmer? Note this is mostly a survey, an advanced programmer is not inherently superior to anyone.

Advanced woot.
Though most of what you've listed as advanced I'd still keep in Intermediate.

well
i am a beginner

i can only write my own serial system , my own control panel
and manage most of the scripts by editing them to my needs and fixing bugs in them

i wrote also my own modules for whmcs and i write my scripts with a mysql backend
exept for the messy code does it still do the job

but from the description you wrote do i choose basic , as i do not work with classes and barely use functions ( i do use them on my last scripts or when a lot of repeats are in it like mysql querry )

also i barely use arrays , because i use mysql all the time to get my arrays (while command )

form validation is a must , specialy if you work with registering and sessions and use mysql a lot to get the needed data based on input fields

anyway
i stay at my desition , i am just a basic user with enouf knowledge to get the most things working :D

Greetings From PowerChaos