Documentation for 1.3.6

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Kesstryl

Mysidian Dollar
It would be great to have documentation for all the functions and classes we would need to access to create new pages and features for our own sites. I have trouble going through all the folders and following the logic for how and what I'm supposed to use for my own modifications and end up making a mess. I'm not a great programmer being self taught, and deeply nested MVC is troubling for me to figure out what to use where. Documentation of useable classes and functions would be amazing to help those of us who struggle with this aspect of Mysidia.

I second this- as a not great coder- when I was trying to help a friend who was forced to have 1.3.6 installed there was alot of super confusion and we had to revert to 1.3.5- this is necessary Famer- especially if you arent giving anyone a choice to backtrack to a former version if you help install it.

I had to give up on the new one, which I can either use with none of my mods - since I can't understand how to get any of them to work - and I have tried -- or just do what I am doing and stick with 1.3.5. Which I CAN understand pretty well or enough to navigate.

It's really unfortunate this has become such a huge change because I realize the php versions that will work for it are dated.

So I can have a barebones new and shiny modless 1.3.6 or my old faithful 1.3.5 with all the bells and whistles I added, and pray I can keep the php going for it.

A clear, easy to follow 'this is now this' guide will have to be made for me to ever be able to mod again on the newer versions of Mysidia ...

Its a GREAT idea to have documentation and Guides for really anything. Especially since you're the coder for it- we arent in your headspace- so we have no idea what you're thinking XD and having a clear representation of those thoughts (for any of the versions really) would help alot of people, and help people be more apt to use your framework since there will be a much clearer understanding between you and the users.. (also probably less questions you'll have to deal with)

Actually I was planning to make a documentation for future versions, though it wont be a bad idea for Mys v1.3.6 since it has a lot of classes and the architecture is enough neat already.
I just want to say first off, thank you so much Famer, for making this framework and allowing people to build off it. I know it's taking you and others a lot of time and work to make it and don't think it's not appreciated, because it is.

My question is, who is your target audience with Mysidia? Because I was under the impression you wanted this framework to be usable by people who didn't know how to code, so that their dreams could come true in making their own adoptable sites reality.

If this is the case, you need documentation on everything. It's not easy to look at. It's not easy to understand for people with no coding knowledge, and even hard for some people who do have some knowledge. If the person is strictly only using the Admin Control Panel and nothing else, then yeah it's pretty easy to use for someone who is a none coder and stuff BUT if you're someone who's wanting to personalize the site and add some of the mods other people have created you HAVE to get into the files and database, and then they're lost, no idea what they're looking at or what they're doing.

I think it's fun to look at this like, we're your kids looking up to you, looking at our dad to teach us how to use this epic program he made because we're so excited to use it but we're getting flutered because we can't figure it out and need help to learn it. We need material to study, guides to show us where to find things. Because we're super passionate about this framework, and just want our dream sites reality and want to see users flocking to your forums. We love you Famer, we're just trying to help give ideas on things that could help based on our thus far experiences.