Alt image trouble

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

Constellraetion

Mysidian Dollar
Hello! im struggling with getting alt images to work correctly on my site in a pretty confusing way. I want to make it so a specific item will turn multiple pets into different alt with a similar theme. For example, blue item turns pets to a blue alt, pink item turns pets to a pink alt, so on so forth. It was working fine with one pet but after adding a second one to test how it'd work with multiple pets, instead of turning the pet into its own corresponding alt, it turns into the alt of a different species entirely. I'm really not sure how to work around this and if i cant figure it out my whole idea for this site is pretty much dead in the water :')

An item can only work on one type of pet for now, it is not possible to have an item working on different species of adoptables. To achieve this, you have to create different items for different pets. Though it shouldnt turn the pet into a different species either, it should just fail with an error message. Do you have a screenshot of what happens before you use an item on another type/species of pet?

oh thats going to get really messy really fast if i have to make one item triggering every different alt image for every pet, that'd turn what i hoped would be a one item per color thing into a one item per color per pet thing.. is there any way to remove or disable the "unique value" part of the item creation process? since im pretty sure that's whats changing them from one species to another since its connected to a singular alt id, unless there's another part of how this specific item works that im not getting. also attached some screenshots, it should be turning into a different color of that species but when I use the item it turns into the pink one.
edit: i tried using alts2 instead of alts1 and that one won't even work on *any* pet i try

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.18.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.18.10 AM.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.22.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.22.49 AM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
is there any way to remove or disable the "unique value" part of the item creation process? since im pretty sure that's whats changing them from one species to another since its connected to a singular alt id, unless there's another part of how this specific item works that im not getting.
I believe this is not what causes the changing from one species to another, or if I put it another way, the adoptables actual species doesnt really change. In fact, the 'unique value' is tied to the ID of the alternate form, not the adoptables species ID. If you check the database, you will find the adoptable may appears to still have the original type/species, but the image/alternate form is changed to something else. For example, you have an item which is supposed to turn a white sheep into a black sheep, you use it on a wolf, the wolf changes its shape/look into the black sheep, but it is still a wolf.

In order for an alt-changing item to work, you need to specify the target adoptable species(the form field above the unique value), and then set an alt ID that matches the adoptables species. This will at least disable the sheep-look wolf problem, as you will only be able to use the item on sheep. If you want to change a certain class/family of adoptables to different alt forms, I honestly dont think its doable with the base script. I mean, how do you specify multiple alternate IDs for different pets? And even if you can, how do you specify the association that maps one adoptable to the corresponding alternate form ID? I can envision myself making a Mod/Addon for this one day, but it will need a lot of coding to make it work.

See the thing is for the item the ids should match (for alts2) but they're still not working. really not sure what im doing wrong here that not even this is functioning properly, no matter what i do it tells me that the item can't be used because it isn't the right type, i've changed all to the adopt's id and the value to different altids but still nothing. thank you for the explanation though, it'd be nice if there was some sort of way to categorize different alts together and have an item work on them all but i get that would be a lot of effort
edit: ok one more thing before i forget actually sorry, but if the item can reference the IDs of multiple pets why can't it reference multiple altIDs as well?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.47.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.47.24 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.47.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 12.47.14 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: