License question.

Forum
Last Post
Threads / Messages

FoxtrotFiction

Mysidian Dollar
"Mysidia Adoptables is licensed under a Free for Non-Commercial Use license.

Terms of this license are interpreted as the following:

Commercial use of the product on your server is OK, while the script may not be redistributed in whole or as part of another script."

These statements conflict. Is it Free for Non-Commercial. But Commercial use is OKAY on my own server. (Does this mean non-commercial has to be on YOUR server?) ..I dont' think I understand, what this means, is there clarification? We would like to use it but if we can't have some parts of the site be commercial (we want to do it for holiday stuff) we aren't sure this is the best route for us. Is there an answer where the license doesn't conflict with itself?

or does this mean I can have a commercial site with this code, but I can't be giving the code away on that site? Sorry it's very vague.

I'm sure Famer will reply and clarify this for you, but to my understanding, you can't profit off anything he made with his code. But you can profit off anything you make yourself. The one thing I'm wondering myself, is if you can have memberships for your site where people donate a certain amount to help support your site and get extra perks, or if you can't. That detail I am fuzzy on. Because your site would be free, but members could choose to be deluxe members to get extra things they wouldn't normally get, etc. I don't need this feature though, just nice to know if that's allowed or not.

With my site, I plan to have my own merchandise on the site for sell, and I sell dino packages that people can buy that comes with things I made myself plus the specific dinosaur adoptable they want for free in the package. So for example, my members will be able to purchase a dinosaur with fake currency they make in game, but if they want to help support the site and get a physical dinosaur package that has things like hand-made dinosaur, hand-made fossils, dino soap, etc, they can buy my dinosaur package and it comes with a free dino adopt inside. The dinosaurs they can track, me and a friend made a tracking system so that's our code but it's working off Famer's Fav pet code. I'll be setting up at events promoting and selling my merchandise and promoting Mysidia.

Attachments

• AdoptCarnotaur.png
    AdoptCarnotaur.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • AdoptPteranodon.png
    AdoptPteranodon.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • EggImageCobyBaby.png
    EggImageCobyBaby.png
    151 KB · Views: 1
Thanks, Genetic for that input that helps a bit, but clarification would help a LOT!

Yeah,
the license is very vague and I just want to make sure we aren't starting before we have to STOP.

Free for non-commercial use I get.

"Commercial use of the product on your server is OK, while the script may not be redistributed in whole or as part of another script."
makes me confused. We want to make them breed. Adoptions would be of course FREE, breeding however, we would like to have people use some sort of currency for. I already have breedable pets in a virtual world so what we would be SELLING are POTIONS for passion for these adoptables so that they could make offspring.

Or do you keep within the terms of the license by selling CREDITS or WEB currency to the players? so that the ecosystem has some sort of economy?

I am SUPER interested in this software, but I don't want to use it if it's not something that can SUSTAIN itself.

Last edited:
Commercial use of the product on your server is OK, while the script may not be redistributed in whole or as part of another script.
As you see, Mysidia Adoptables is not an open source software, the code aint meant to be distributed as a part of another script/software. This is to prevent competitors from using part of the code or idea from Mysidia adoptables, to create a different adoptables script. I am not aware of the existence of such competing software at this moment, but if they exist, their developers cannot steal code from this script as base, they must make their own from scratch.

If you build an adoptables site with Mysidia Adoptables, you sell some merchandises and other services related to your site to make profit, its perfectly legal and will not get you into any trouble. However, if you are making an e-commerce software/script that uses part of the code from Mysidia Adoptables, its illegal and violation of the license agreement(though in this case, I am open to negotiation if they want to use part of the script and give credits, I am lenient unless it comes to direct competitors). Hope this clears your confusion.

So, to clarify, selling GAME currency to allow people to interact with in-game commerce would NOT violate your license as long as it stayed within that HOSTED environment?

So selling GAME currency to allow people to interact with in-game commerce would NOT violate your license?
Thats perfectly fine. The license violation is only applicable for other coders who will use/steal my code as part of their own code/software. If you are not actually selling a software, you dont have to worry about this issue.

Thats perfectly fine. The license violation is only applicable for other coders who will use/steal my code as part of their own code/software. If you are not actually selling a software, you dont have to worry about this issue.
Thanks so much! <3

You are welcome. In general, if you aint going to make a competing script/software as Mysidia Adoptables, you should not worry about license violation. Also, make sure you keep the credits 'powered by Mysidia Adoptables v1.3.x' on your site footer, and you are good.